As a media first marketing company, it’s important for us to follow the developments in how people consume information. As Zachary Weiner, author of this article, indicates, you can get many different opinions about the changing nature of TV.
"TV is rapidly becoming upended during a period of intense evolution and convergence. Others believe that small shifts have resulted in only minor changes. The truth is that the current and future nature of television is vastly complex and undergoing what could best be described as an ongoing yet subtle disruption. There has been no great “black and white to color” shift that has occurred, but a plethora of changes in consumer behavior and technology have set the gears in motion to change and converge television, the digital landscape, entertainment media, and the marketing that falls behind them all.” (Emphasis added.)
This article skews a bit more B2C, but has relevance for B2B audiences, as well, as it is an indicator of a larger change in the media consumption landscape.
Below are the ten big predictions that Weiner makes. The important insights are within the meat of the article. Read more here.
- Video will be consumed everywhere and at all times.
- Viewers will deepen socialization across connected devices.
- Transmedia storytelling will become more engaging.
- long-form ad consumption will flourish.
- Blendable reality will become the next entertainment experience.
- Connected TV/smart TV will change the nature of the living room experience.
- Programmatic media buys will become the norm.
- Nearly all programming will go multiscreen.
- Big data will change the entire programming and production experience.
- User-experience demands will make many new technologies falter.